Monday 14 November 2011

The Haven Part 5

March 8, 2004

Andrew came with us to B.C. He’s not completely convinced about the inevitable Z-Day, but I think he’ll come around to the existence of zombies. He asked a lot of questions about them on the flight down, trying to get a feel for how I truly feel about them and I think he’s starting to believe more because I believe so much. Both Angela and Summer agreed to join the group. Angela was a lot easier to convince then Summer, Summer had a lot of questions regarding our sanity and only agreed to join after Hank offered her a much higher salary then she was earning at his company. I think that extended periods of hanging around us will convince Summer more of Z-Day then any amount of money ever could. Over the last few days Andrew, Rachel and I have been exploring the caves and coming up with plans. Andrew has found a bunch of caves that can be opened up further to accommodate living areas and still be structurally sound. Andrew and Rachel are working together to come up with a design for the fortress. They left it up to me to work on the outer wall. The basic design so far is a small plateau on the side of the mountain with a large walled fortress bigger than two football fields long and one wide with a reinforced steel door leading to the outside. On the other side of the fortress, the side against the mountain will be another heavier, stronger steel door leading into the caves. The first room will be the living room and from there, hallways branch off to the library, storage areas, medical area, labs, offices, kitchen and the living areas. In total there are going to be eleven living areas, each as big as a medium sized apartment, enough for everyone to have space to live. There will also be a large storage area and a room with all of the machines that will help us survive, such as a water filtration system leading to the lake at the bottom of the mountain, the air circulator so people can breathe in some of the farther back rooms and the power distribution system. The power generation was my idea, on the top of the mountain we will have a combination solar/wind farm. I am in the process of designing windmills that are covered in solar panels so that they generate energy as efficiently as possible.

We decided on two final people for our group, then we would be complete and we could start forming a plan. The two people left were Jeffrey Williams, mine and Eric’s lawyer and good friend, and Vince Hayes, an old buddy of mine who works construction.

Jeffrey Williams is my lawyer and friend; he knows everything there is to know about gun and weapon laws in California, which is useful for when we start to arm ourselves. He is one of the most trustworthy people I know and I am quite sure he thinks the same of me. Jeffrey is about six feet tall and in decent shape due to our weekly basketball games and the many trips to the gym. He is one of the most dedicated people I know and he will not stop a project until it is completely finished.

Vincent Hayes is a construction worker who Eric and I used to go to high school with. He, Eric and I go way back; we met back in elementary school and have been close ever since. He is a giant of a man at six foot six and two hundred thirty pounds. He is one of the strongest men I know and his knowledge of construction could be very helpful with the fortress in B.C. Vince is also one of the gentlest and kindest people I know and I would trust him with my life. He will make a valuable addition to our group.

Andrew, Rachel and I decided to stay up here for a while longer so I have asked Eric to organize everyone to try to get Vince and Jeffrey to join. Andrew is getting some of his mining friends to come up to British Columbia in a few weeks so we can start excavating and building this shelter. I hope we are working fast enough to be finished before Z-Day.


Hooray for late night posts!! Here's the next part of "The Haven". Enjoy.
Happy Readings,
     SammyShoffy

No comments:

Post a Comment